Backpacking: Insights and Lessons

For the millenials, backpacking is the 'in' thing. Many are raving about it - the excitement and thrill it brings despite the risk and physical exhaustion that comes with it. This doesn't mean that the current generation have more time for recreation than the previous one. It only means they really find time to make it happen despite the tight schedule their work demands.  The young professionals, who are trapped in a rat race and are overwhelmed with the mundane and drudgery of life, keep looking for some excitement and thrill. Therefore, many companies bring in some extreme sports to the market. And for those who are into learning different cultures, the travel and tourism industry provide affordable hostels for backpackers and tourists alike who are looking for budget-friendly accommodations. That's what business can do. Thanks to them, we don't need to be rich to be able to experience the life in the other side of the world.

It's my first time to go backpacking. Yes, I admit, it was really energy-draining and physically-exhausting. However, the insights you learned along the way, the beautiful scenery you take in, the new friends you've made far outweigh the physical inconveniences. So much. I have learned valuable lessons. I saw what life is like in these three different countries. In Thailand, it is seen as a developed country. Good infrastructures. High rising buildings. Clean streets. On the other hand, it is depressing to see the barren lands and dusty roads in Cambodia. How heartbreaking to see the plight of the people. Nevertheless, you can see their sincere smiles and infectious laugh. They seem to be content and happy with what life offers to them. I spent most of my time on the bus especially when we were crossing borders. Thus, during the ride, I couldn't help but think, 'why can't all countries bevthe same? There shouldn't be poor ones. Everyone should be enjoying the comfort and convenience in life but maintaining the values and camaraderie despite cultural differences. Why can't it happen?'

I hope this won't be my first and the last. I would like to go backpacking in Europe countries someday. I know it would be totally different from the one in Indochina. But, I know, there are tons I could learn from it.

Sharing with you guys some of the pictures I took:

[gallery ids="460,461,462" type="slideshow"]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Won and I Lost

Thoughts #2: Missions Caravan 2017

A Visit to Hundred Islands